Available for Private Parties
Bus Parking Available
Curran Hall is a beautifully restored historic home featuring gardens with plants and trees true to the 1840's antebellum time period.
The information center offers helpful and friendly staff with loads of information on fun, food, and things to do in the Capital City. The Marjem Ward Jackson Historic Gardens on the grounds of Curran Hall includes styles and plant stock that were appropriate to Little Rock in the 1840's. In full bloom, the garden is breath-taking and is lovingly maintained by the Pulaski County Master Gardeners.
Conveniently located in Little Rock's downtown historic district near Interstate 30, Curran Hall is within walking distance of the Little Rock River Market District and just a short drive from Little Rock National Airport. Throughout the year, Curran Hall welcomes guests to Arkansas and our Capital City with southern grace and charm. Get directions or contact us for additional information.
Historic Garden & Architecture
As early as 1849, visitors to the Curran Hall gardens commented on the roses, native flowers, exotic shrubbery, and arbors with vines, fruits, and berries. Original landscaping included a wide variety of hardy Southern trees, shrubs, vines, and bulbs. Fruit trees and berries were also mentioned in period articles.
Today's Curran Hall features a garden landscape designated as the Marjem Ward Jackson Historic Garden. In developing a landscape plan to fit both the antebellum house and its 21st century adaptive use, the designer included styles and plant stock that were appropriate to Little Rock in the 1840s, but are also hardy and easy to maintain in a public setting.
In full bloom, the garden is breath-taking and is lovingly maintained by the Pulaski County Master Gardeners. Awarded the University of Arkansas Division of Agricultural Award as well as the Little Rock City Beautiful Commission Award, the Curran Hall garden attracts tour groups and visitors from all over the world.
Curran Hall was constructed in 1842 in the Greek Revival style adapted to a Southern frontier setting. The symmetrical, one-story house has a central hall with a large room opening to each side. Walls are three bricks thick. The original narrow front porch has been fully restored. The hip roof, covered with wood shakes, included cypress box gutters. Four square columns supported an entablature with bold dentil trim. Few houses of this era remain with so few interior alterations.
A children's playhouse was also constructed in 1848. About 1960, the current playhouse was reconstructed using materials from various historic Little Rock houses.
Curran Hall History
Currently listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Curran Hall was built around 1842 by Col. Ebenezer Walters.
In 1842, Col. Ebenezer Walters built Curran Hall as a wedding gift for his bride, Mary Eliza Starbuck. In 1849, it was purchased by James Moore Curran, a young lawyer, for his wife, Sophie Fulton, daughter of William Savin Fulton, Arkansas' last territorial governor and first U.S. senator.
The City of Little Rock and the Little Rock Advertising and Promotion Commission acquired the house in 1996, saving it from demolition. With the Little Rock Visitor Information Center Foundation leading the way the historic home was carefully renovated to serve as Little Rock's first official visitor information center. Six years later, after a $1.4 million renovation, the transformation is complete. The city's visitor information center formally opened May 18, 2002.